Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 22~
This morning I was thinking about what to write for my Thankful. I was reminded of Friday. And I knew I had to tell the story. Because even when I am frustrated, frazzled, upset and discouraged I am thankful it sometimes just takes a little nudge from God to remind me!
Friday was the big dinner for Dropz of Hope. I had my entire day planned out and knew exactly what I needed to get done and what the time line for the day needed to be. Then Scott decided to take the day off of work to fix the van. (which had started to act up on Wednesday.) I thought well, that's OK, then I can take his car to run errands and still be done in time to be at the church by no later than 3 to sort clothing for the families to look through. One thing after another kept happening and needless to say, I did not get things done the way I had intended. But, I was OK. Honest! until I got to the church and realized that we did not have enough food. I began to panic. We had 90 people coming for dinner and I honestly had no idea what to do. So I ditched the clothing and headed out to Wal Mart. In tears.
As I was running through the store trying to scramble and think of what I could buy that I could prepare in time, texting Nita to see if she had any ideas. I am sure I flew by people I know and didn't even see them. I was racing against the clock and frantic! I made it through the store in record time and began to search for the best fastest looking line. I settled into line # 9. Somehow I managed to cover my inner panic and chat with the gal who was checking me out. We made small talk and had a friendly little banter going. She wanting all my good food cuz she missed her lunch break to cover for another employee....when she asked what in the world I had bought so much for. I told her all about Dropz of Hope and the families who were coming for dinner. She got very quiet. I got nervous trying to figure out how I could have managed to offend her. When she looked me in the eye and said. :I just got my little boy back from foster care." I encouraged her told her I was proud of her and excited that she was able to get her son back! I told her that is EXACTLY why I am a foster parent, so that I can help be a part of reuniting a mother and her child!! Then she said something that completely shocked me.
She said, I think you might be the lady who helped my son when he was in foster care. The foster mom who took care of him used to take him to something like what you are talking about. They gave him clothes and all kinds of things. His foster mom has another boy who talks all the time about how much fun he has when he gets to go hang out with other foster kids. then she told me the foster mom's name, the other boy's name....and her son's name. And she was right. Dropz of Hope DID take care of her baby boy. In fact an entire community took care of him and loved him even when they did not know him. And because of that kind of Love, she was able to get her son back. She is doing GREAT now. And all she wanted was the opportunity to say thank you for loving her son.
As I walked out to the car with all the food I had frantically bought. My steps were considerably slower than before. I was in a much calmer state of mind. Pondering and praying. Thank you for reminding me that THIS is why we do what we do! To be the difference in the lives of the CHILDREN!
The dinner turned out amazing. We ended up with more than enough food. Everyone left with a smile bigger than the one they came with. I am THANKFUL seems so small to say for this moment. But I truly am!

No comments: