Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day # 10

Today as I was getting ready for the day I thought back over the past couple years for Isaiah. Isaiah LOVES school. He loves his friends. But because of his "cautiously stable" state of health has been unable to attend public school since 6th grade. Last year we noticed him retreating back into he protective shell he creates around himself. He stopped talking to people unless he had to, he stopped looking in your face when he was talking to you, he spent more and more time alone in his room, happy and content alone with his legos and Risk games. Don't get me wrong he was NOT depressed or pitiful. Quite the opposite actually. He is happy to be alone. The problem I saw was that he was not learning how to be with people, how to interact socially and he was growing more and more uncomfortable in social settings. And so began my search for a small school to enroll him.
I found Heritage Christian Academy in Des Moines, it is perfect for him. In the upper learning center )7th-12th grades) there are 20 students. The only obstacle we had in our way was transportation. His start time is the same as our bus pick up for the elementary plus Zephan started preschool and his bus picks him up at 810 every morning. Thanks to the generosity of my mother, Isaiah has a ride to school every day! She comes every morning at 745 and takes him to school. What a blessing for Isaiah and for me to watch him grow and mature and make new friends!

No comments: