Saturday, May 30, 2009

long drive

We left home at 4:20 pm on Thursday afternoon. The boys nearly drove my poor dear brother crazy within the first 25 miles. So, we had a little conference and the settled right down! Ladies and gentleman I would like to let you all know that it is possible to drive for 22 hours in a van with 2 boys and NO electronic entertainment. We played games, read books, drew pictures. I created scavenger hunts for them and we had FUN! As a precaution I did give Elijah some dramamine around 8:30 because he has a history of car sickness. But I am happy to report he has outgrown the problem and did not require another dose the whole time.
Around 10 or 1030 both boys conked out and slept ALL night. Nearly 9 hours!
Around 3:00 in the morning shortly after we crossed the boarder into Ohio we were driving into a thunderstorm and suddenly right out the drivers side of the van we both saw a skinny tornado drop out of the storm clouds. I twisted and twirled around and did not stay long. We were both shocked to say the least. But relieved that the boys slept right through it! WHEW!
Philip and I both grew extremely tired so at 4am we pulled into a rest area about 30 miles outside of Columbus Ohio and tried to take a nap. He slept for about an hour....I tossed and turned and dozed a bit. While listening to the wind whip through the trees. And my thoughts swirling about wondering if a stranger would walk up and knock on the window...crazy things fly through ones mind when they have been awake for 22 hours straight. Around 530 we decided to get back on the road.
The boys woke around 7am. We continued our search for a good cup of coffee...finally Elijah spotted a Star Bucks around 1010 am. SCORE!!! We pulled into the parking lot and Lij pops up from lying down and says "Do you suppose the have a spherical donut that I might sit upon? A toilet would be nice cuz I REALLY gotta GO!!" We all laughed quite hard over that one! And yes, they dd have one and he felt so much better. Not only that but Philip and I had the first good cup of coffee the whole trip!! We had stopped around 1am and picked up a gas station coffee and both ended up with a tummy ache. ACK!!
At some point in the after noon we realized that the garmin was taking us on a long detour. So we had a little break, reprogrammed it and were back on the road. Finally arrived at Nathan's house at 308 pm. Exhausted, hungry, in need of a shower and ever so happy to out of the van!!
Philip headed straight for his hotel and I to the shower. Following the shower we took Dominique to Target to pick up a few things and then ordered some pizza to celebrrate his 19th birthday! I can hardly believe my 'baby' is already 19! I am so very proud of the young man he has grown into! It is so nice to be able to actually hug his neck too!!
Today we ran a few errands.
Nicole and her family brought mother and Alex over from NJ. We had a nice afternoon. a bit chaotic but really fun!!
Tomorrow will be a nice day!

No comments: