Thursday, May 7, 2009

I apologize for not updating yesterday. It was a long day with a long drive at the end. Then I was swamped with house and kid stuff to do when I got home. Scott broke a tooth yesterday at lunch and ended up having it pulled while I was on the road so I arrived home to a drugged up Scott and kids running a muck without dinner etc...etc...etc...nuff said about that!
The drive home yesterday was the first time EVER that I actually was so sleepy I had to stop buy coffee and walk around a while. I have driven a lot of places and for much longer stretches many times. I have never become sleepy while driving. It was a bit scary for me.
Here is what we learned in a nut shell from the orthopedic surgeon.
Isaiah grew another 2 inches! Incredible considering 4 inches ago we all thought he was done growing. Curvatures are within the stable zone so we decided no surgery yet. Here is where it gets complicated. With his syndrome his spinal issues are degenerative which means progressively over time the get worse. Just part of the deal. So the big question is do you do fusion when he is stable and still growing or do you wait until he is done growing and run the risk of having too much deterioration to do anything surgically that will be of help. Right now waiting is the best option so we will wait.
We also learned that his bones grow at a much faster rate than his muscles and tendons which is causing problems with his hips legs and feet. We visited with PT and learned some exercises that may or may not help in tricking his muscles and tendons to stretch and think they are growing. funny to think you can trick a muscle or tendon to behave the way it should....wish I could trick my kids that way! ;0)We also met with orthotics and had some inserts ordered for his feet because the opposite is happening with his feet muscles they are not strong enough to support the natural arch in his feet. We are hoping the inserts help so we do not have to do braces.
God is still working....He is still in control...
Happy Mothers Day to me NO SURGERY!!!!!!!!!! this summer! the best gift ever!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got good news. Have a great Mother's Day!! ~ Jodi

Lori Eilers said...

Yeah! well, not about Scooter Scotty's tooth. Isaiah inspires me!