Friday, May 15, 2009

rain

Rain...
a cleansing refreshing process. to stand out in the rain and feel the drops gently wash over me. carrying away all the heaviness that has covered me.
When I was a child and even a teenager I loved to stand in the rain. I loved the feeling of the drops slowly come down around me eventually building into a downpour.
Somehow along the way as I grew into adulthood the rain began to represent sadness for me. And increase the heaviness of my soul.
I woke in the wee hours of the morning to hear the steady pounding of heavy rain upon the window and the thought occurred to me. Maybe it was the combination of sleepiness still enveloping me and the smell drifting through my window that brought back memories of standing in the rain. As I lay there lost in thought and memory I realized that even the other day the rain brought with it a melancholy sort of mood for me.
I took in a long smooth deep fill your lungs up kind of breath and was transported back to a time when rain was refreshing and soothing to my soul. The memories this evoked brought a smile to my sleepy face. As I drfited back into dream land I decided I would embrce the rain today.
As I sit here listening to the gentle patter of drops on the window I feel peaceful and happy. If it were not so cold I would go out and stand in the rain and allow its refreshing to fall down around me.
I was reminded of how God is like the rain pouring out his love and refreshing me daily...
Song Lyrics

Let the rain of Your presence
Fall on me
Every day that I live
With every breath I breathe
Let the rain of Your presence
Fall on me
Everywhere that I go
Lord let Your presence flow
Rain on me

Love divine
Joy unspeakable
Overflowing in my soul
This heart of mine
Is refreshed and at rest
In Your presence
In Your presence

© 1994 Praise on the Rock

No comments: