Wednesday, December 17, 2008

BUMMED. that's what I was yesterday. Actually that does no justice for how I really felt. Not only was I sick but I had to miss my favorite field trip ever. What makes it even worse is the fact that this year was a special year. back up. explanation of trip...
Every year our kids at the elementary school work very hard to raise money and bring in food. At the end of 2 weeks we adopt a couple families. 4th graders are the Bank. counting all the money. 3rd and 6th graders get to take all the money, break down into groups, assigned to an adult, given a list with a family members name and what they need or want on it. We go to Target and shop. These kids are serious about this shopping expedition bargaining for the best deals. stretching those dollars to the max. I love going on this trip. Experiencing the goodness, generosity and joy of the kids from our school reaching out to love others warms my heart. This year, Lij and Isaiah got to go and for the past 3 years I have been looking forward to going with my boys together. I had Dominique ready to babysit the Burrito and was ready to go. Until the Burrito got the pukes and was up all night then I got sick too. Seriously, I was so disappointed I actually cried. Real mature, I know but I can't get this memory back. I can't recreate it tomorrow when I am feeling better. It belongs to someone else now.
My boys had the time of their lives shopping, even though they had to shop for a 12 year old girls, they loved every minute of it.
Lunch of pizza was enjoyed by all, then back to school for the 6th graders to wrap and parents delivered the loot to the lucky families.
Even in my selfish pity party, I can appreciate the joy of the day and am so thankful my kids had such a wonderful experience.
Next year Amaris will get to go. I better not be sick. ;0)

No comments: