Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Smells that take you back in time.

There are some things that take you back in time to years gone by, maybe childhood, or teenage years or some other time in your life. sometimes it is a song playing on the radio or the way the sun filters gently through a partially drawn shade at just the right time of the afternoon. For me this week it was all about smell and a little about taste. It amazed me at how quickly I was a child again in my mind.
My brother has been trying for years to bake the bread our dad always baked when we were growing up. Saturday mornings of our childhood always smelled of freshly baking bread. mmmmmmmmmmm
So, anyway after Dad died I got some of his recipes and one of them was the bread recipe. So as we were discussing our Thanksgiving feast Philip requested Dad's bread. I told him if he bought the ingredients and came up on his day off we would make it together. So he arrived at 7:45 Monday morning ready to bake! We had so much fun, mixing, kneading, laughing, and baking. Isaiah got the best job he got to punch down the dough after the first rising! Man did my house smell yummy!
The next memory transport occurred when we took the first bite at dinner, I think Philip even looked like he was 10 years old again! Wish I would have had the camera handy to capture the look on his face when he ate that bread. Not much better than happy childhood memories and the smell of fresh baked bread!

No comments: