Friday, May 18, 2012

time on the porch

this morning had such a peaceful feel.
well, at least for the first hour or so.
I was ready earlier than usual and enjoyed just being with Elijah as he got himself ready for his day. I love when these brief moments present themselves. With a family this size time alone with one child is rare.
I grabbed a fresh cup of coffee and we sat, Elijah and I on the front step just chatting about random things, nothing in particular. I love to hear his perspective on things, small things, like how he loves the feel of the early morning breeze blowing across his face. Or how he really likes how everything this early in the morning is so quiet that you can hear the birds sing and other natural sounds that get camouflaged by the sounds of children playing later in the day. He noticed so many things this morning that he usually doesn't see and hear. I love that he sat quietly, listened and actually enjoyed the morning.
I love that he still likes to sit with me. I hope he is just like Dominique in that respect. Dominique is nearly 22 years old and he will still sit with me on the porch and chat about nothing and something all at the same time. He still hugs me with out my asking and will never leave the house with out kissing my cheek and saying he loves me. I love that about both boys. Not all of my children are this way.
Those little things make me smile randomly throughout the day. Today I will have a few more smiles popping in and out of my day just because I had the gift of time on the front porch with one of my children....

No comments: