Monday, May 14, 2012

Silly me! I have ALWAYS wanted a front porch. I dream of rocking on the front porch early in the morning with a cup of coffee, sitting in the evening with the kids as the sun settles in the sky. A front porch. That's what I want.
I knew we would be doing some yard improvements this weekend. So I decided to call city hall and find out if I need a permit to build a front porch. Great news! If it is made of concrete or brick, no permit needed. So began my brainstorm of spending Mothers Day weekend building a front porch out of stone....
First we measured wrong, then we ran out of one material after another, 4 trips in to Menard's and Sunday evening arrived and my front porch is almost half done, the mulching projects have gone in reverse since we decided after we had almost all the stone in that it would work better if we used timber instead. So, we pulled all the brick out. Frustrated my poor dear brother.And called it a night.
Today, I will call and find more sand for the porch, try to return brick and exchange it for timber. Hopefully by the end of NEXT weekend our project will be done.
It is very true that projects tend to take on a life of their own and the cost is NEVER what you think in the beginning.
I will post pictures soon!

No comments: