Wednesday, September 17, 2008

answer: HEAD OVER HEALS


What was the question you ask? Well, one day not too long ago a friend of mine who is in a blended family situation asked me if I thought it was possible to love the step children with the same love as you do your Biological children. First of all BEFORE I explain my answer I must point out how ridiculous I think it was for that question to be asked of me, a person who in addition to being in a blended family has also already adopted 2 children not biologically linked to any member of the family and is preparing to adopt another one....silly question! BUT since it was asked, I of course have spent sleepless nights, (not losing sleep over this question) but since sleep often eludes me I may as well put my thinking and pondering powers to work and solve some of life's problems.
Anyway....back to posed question.

I will preface all else by saying I truly believe I was formed, created and molded to LOVE children. I am naturally drawn to children. No matter their situation but especially hurting children, God gave me an indescribable compassion that pours out of my heart when it comes to children. I can not explain it, I only know that it HAS to come from God!

Now because of my deep faith, I must share what God tells us about children...
Mark 9:37 (New Living Translation)
37 “Anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes not only me but also my Father who sent me.”
Mark 10:14 (New Living Translation)
14 When Jesus saw what was happening, he was angry with his disciples. He said to them, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children.
Mark 10:16 (New Living Translation)
16 Then he took the children in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and blessed them.
Luke 18:15 (New Living Translation)
15 One day some parents brought their little children to Jesus so he could touch and bless them. But when the disciples saw this, they scolded the parents for bothering him.


Not only was I created with a heart that cares deeply for children but what comes naturally to me is Biblical.

I can honestly tell you without hesitation that God placed a very special love within my heart for each one of my children. Do I love them EXACTLY the same. No because they are all very different creations....But do I love them with the fullness of my heart? Absolutely, I am head over heels in love with each one of my children from Dominique all the way down to baby Zephan and including whom ever the Lord chooses to bring into my life after. My hands, my heart must be a blessing to children, I must love them as Christ did. Above all others, Jesus wanted the children brought to him so he could love them and bless them. We must do the same. There is enough hurt and pain and ugliness in this crazy world we live in. We must be part of the healing.
It absolutely makes me crazy when people refer to children as step this, adopted that, foster this. They are children. Joyful, hurting, all yearning to be loved. Quit labeling them and start loving them the way Jesus did and watch our world become a better place because of it!

How a person can look into the sweet innocence of a child's eyes and NOT fall completely in love and want nothing more than to protect and care and love and provide for their every need....that is a question I have no answers for. How can a person be in the position of caring for a child and CHOOSE not to??? I was NOT created that way!
I promise you that if you choose to let them into your heart they will bless you a million times more than you could have ever imagined!
I know I have the many blessings stored up in my heart to prove it. SEE?

5 comments:

Truders said...

Well said Angela. Doesn't matter if they are biologically yours or not you love them with all your heart.

Lori Eilers said...

Oh my friend! If all parents could have your heart, the world would be a better place. You are a unique soul...anointed of God to love and care for all children! You said that so well and I seriously think you will someday write a book about your experiences raising 7 (or maybe more :)) totally different kids. I hope you are journaling and using this blog to keep a record...think about it. God could use you in that way to reach a lot of people! When you are a rich, published author...remember us little people!

Angela said...

ah...thanks that was so nice of you to say!

Anonymous said...

Well said! The reason my kids are MY kids. Oh, and thanks for all your love for our Lil' E, it helps her get through her day.

loreyfamily said...

hey Angela im not sure if you remeber me or not , i been looking up people from our old church at berean Assmbley of God I use to teach Elijah in the Nursey there, i see remeber him being the cute baby that he was and so when i saw your photos here of him i could not believe how much he has growen since i last saw him. This is April i was April Davis back then but now married so April Lorey. Anyways may Our Lord Bless you
PS Ali ( who is married to Heath ) is my couisn and graig burkhead is my uncle anyways Cant wait to here back from you again i cant believe how fast Elijah even the rest of the kids have grown