Friday, July 4, 2008

Peace


What do you think of the view? This is what I see in the evening while swinging in my porch swing. What is it about a swing or rocking chair, especially when sitting out doors in the fresh air, that invites peace to wash over ones soul and fill them with awe for what lies around them? It always amazes me how the rocker can instantly calm a fussy babe, soothe the hurt feelings of a child, and ease the loneliness of an elderly widow.
I love to sit in my swing and listen to the sounds of creation around me. The birds singing, children laughing, a baby's cry. I love to swing, lay my head back against the back and thank God for all the things that fill my senses. The smells of fresh air, mixed with freshly turned soil and blooming gardens. The sounds of nature and a train off in the distance, the way the light changes as the day grows old and prepares for night. The way I can see the rays of the setting sun filter through the clouds always makes me feel closer to heaven and that always makes me think of my Dad. That vision brings him so close that sometimes if I close my eyes and concentrate, I can even feel him sitting and swinging next to me. What is it about swings and rockers that bring peace to the soul?

1 comment:

Lori Eilers said...

I agree, I love the rhythmic feel and it just soothes me. We need to talk this next week before I am gone for two weeks of kid's camp!!