Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What is it about a persons handwriting that makes me feel closer to them even when they are not here?
I am still salvaging and throwing things from the basement flood. Moveing closer to remodleing, what a job ahead.
Back to the handwriting....the other day I opened a box that had been tucked away in a back corner of the basement. In it I found many little treasures. 3 neatly packaged bundels of letters tied in purple ribbon all from Josly my best friend from my teenage years. just seeing her beautiful script flowing across the page brought back all the memories and moments we shared as teenage girls trying to figure out life. I dont talk to her as much as I should, I am terrible about setting aside time to spend catching up with those I love who are far from me. But something about her handwriting made her feel closer to me. It was a nice.
a little further down in the box I found a small bundle of cards and letters from my Grammie. What a lady she was. I learned to bake standing on a step stool in her kitchen. I gained my love for reading through her and our many walks to the library on my visits to her house. Seeing her hand writing took me back to days of iced tea on her back porch, playing in her basement and walking up the hill to get a cookie out of the mail slot from the mystery cookie lady! Seeing her hand writing was like a childhood hug. It was nice.
I think though the one that has the most profound effect on me is that of my father. I have strategically placed all around me pieces of his writing so I have the opportunity to see it and be touched by his presence daily. He had begun writing me a book of all his special recipes before he passed away, sadly that book is incomplete, but everytime I get into the cookbook cupboard I take it out and touch his penmenship. I run my finger down the line of words and feel closer to him. Its been a while since I have done that but this morning while I was getting ready for my day I opened my prayer box and out slid a slip of paper that simply said "daddy loves you" in his handwriting. The funny thing is I do not recall placing that paper in my prayer box. But I can honestly say I really needed to feel close to my Daddy today. When I saw his handwriting on that slip of paper I felt the warmth of his love and hug completely surround me. As crazy as it may sound I felt like it gave me the extra boost of strength I needed to face this day. It was nice.
I still dont know what it is about a persons handwriting that touches me but in MOST cases I am glad it does!

No comments: