Friday, September 4, 2009

Yesterday I was reading to Zephan the story of Daniel from his little story Bible. Later, after he had run off to terrorize the house I got to thinking about Daniel and God....and me.

Because Daniel chose to honor God, he was thrown into the den full of hungry lions.

Daniel 6:13-14
Then they said to the king, "Daniel, who is one of the exiles from Judah, pays no attention to you, O king, or to the decree you put in writing. He still prays three times a day." v.16 So the king gave the order, and they brought Daniel and threw him into the lions' den.

Have you ever felt like you were doing everything you were supposed to do. living life as you should. being a light. raising your children to love others and God...yet still your children disobey...or wander away from the faith you raised them with...or bad things happen...does anyone besides me ever feel like...holy cow!! i am doing what i am supposed to ~ why is this happening ~ how did i end up in the lions den?? ~ I have. I do. but the more i think about this story the realization settles in around me...
finally i get it...
I understand what God was up to with Daniel. but more important than that....i understand what He is up to with me!
Daniel 6:19-24
19 At the first light of dawn, the king got up and hurried to the lions den.20 When he came near the den, he called to Daniel in an anguished voice, "Daniel, servant of the living God, has your God, whom you serve continually, been able to rescue you from the lions?"21 Daniel answered, "O king, live forever!22 My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, because I was found innocent in his sight. Nor have I ever done any wrong before you, O king."23 The king was overjoyed and gave orders to lift Daniel out of the den. And when Daniel was lifted from the den, no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in his God.

I get it! Its not about me at all. its not about how many things i get right or good deeds i do or even how many mistakes i make....it is about God. He alone in ~ all things ~ deserves the honor.
I already knew this...i just didnt really GET it. there is a difference.

If the story had ended with Daniel being set free, then, Daniel would have been the hero of the story, but God gets the glory because He saved and protected Daniel in the darkest scariest time!

Sometimes God allows me to walk through things so that He is the One who shines the brightest, it is difficult for me in the dark to remember this. I know that I want to see God lifted up and magnified in my life. Some times are easier to be discouraged with the situations He uses to do that. I need to remember that “it’s all about Him- not me.” When I remember I can allow Him to work and move. The ending may not always mirror the desires of my heart but they ALWAYS mirror HIS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From Randy Eilers
Thank you so much Angela for that good word. What appropriate timing for my situation. I don't comment often, but your openness and honesty bless me when I read your blog. God bless you many times over.
Mr. Randy