Monday, September 14, 2009

an answer...

I have been thinking a lot about the recent contact via the postal service. I was leaning towards tucking the cards away with the photos and other items from pre-adoption days. A little treasure I have been saving to share with the children when they 'come of age' so to speak. As I pondered, and prayed, and asked God to show me what to do...He answered in the most precious way possible.
Amaris and I were snuggled up on the couch Sunday night watching some random thing on TV. When out of the blue she looked at me and said, "Do you wanna know what I think is weird?" with Amaris you NEVER know what is going to follow a question like that. So I cautiously asked "What do you think is weird?" she looked at me and said "I think it is weird that I have more memories of being with the Blaedes than I have of being with my real mom. Why do you think that?" I thought for a few minutes before answering, then I said. "well, honey, I think maybe because you were so little when you came to live with us it is hard to remember that long ago. And when you were with the Blaedes while Isaiah was sick, you were older,  you had tons of fun and they love you lots! So you have lots to remember." I held my breath a few heart beats waiting for this to explode. after a while she said, "I have another question, I thought (Oh boy here it comes) she asked "What if my real mom gets better?" this time I had a quick conversation with God...."Lord please help me out here!" I asked her "Honey what do you think might happen?" she said "well, I think God will help her get better and some day maybe I will see her again." So I told her..."Amaris, we pray everyday for your first family. And I know God can help them get better. But, you will have to wait until you are grown like Dominique before you will be able to see them again. Do you understand why?" Amaris slipped her warm little hand in mine and said, "yes. I do. Because I am safe here and I love you." And that was it. She was happy. no more questions. We just went back to snuggling and watching the randomness on TV. And I whispered a thank you to God for the answering my prayers.
So the answer to my question?
save the cards with the rest of the treasures.
for another time.

1 comment:

Truders said...

So thankful for the Lord working in ways that help us when something arises. We too have "treasures" from their birth families to share with both boys when they become of age.