Sunday, August 2, 2009

what would you have done?

Today I decided to do a trial run of leaving mother home alone for a couple hours while I went to church. After service I took the Burrito and left not staying for Sunday School. I needed to run real quick into the local grocery store before heading home, I needed milk and a couple other items. The Burrito and I ran in, of course the store was busier than I had anticipated and it took a bit longer than I liked. My cashier girl was young and seemed to be new at the job. I tried to be patient as she trudged through the extremely large order of a rather grouchy older lady. Our turn came and the Burrito charmed her out of a smile. For once I actually had cash to pay, I never carry cash with me not even $5. But today I had cash. She rang up my order, took my cash, and gave me change back. The Burrito threw kisses and we were on our way. Ran out the door loaded the back of the van with the few bags I had purchased, strapped the babe in his car seat, and decided for what reason I am still not sure, to go over my reciept and count my change before leaving the parking lot. Good thing I did. I found that the girl had given me $5 too much in change.
Admittedly, I sat there pondering my circumstances for a few moments. Mother was home alone for longer than I had planned, the Burrito is cranky now and already strapped in his car seat....who would it hurt if I just drove on my way and not look back...then the face of the young girl flashed through my mind and I thought of how she would explain the missing money at the end of her shift, then I thought if that was my daughter I would want someone to be honest...SO...
I got out, unstrapped the Burrito and rushed back into the store, stood back through the line and when my turn arrived I kindly explained what had happened showing her my receipt and the change she had given me. She was in shock, I think she thought I was angry for some reason, I assured her she was not in trouble I just wanted her drawer to balance at the end of her shift. A look of shock crossed over her face and she thanked me several times. As the Burrito graced her with more kisses in the air and giggles. We headed back out to the van, strapped him back into his carseat and he was fast asleep within 2 blocks.
As I drove home I wondered what would other people have done if they had been in my situation?
no judgement from here since I very nearly drove away with the money for the sake of convenience and peace of mind....so please, write and tell me what you would have done.

2 comments:

Lori Eilers said...

I'm 99.999% I would have done the same thing but I sure understand your hesitation with all the other stuff going on. That girl will remember your face and action for a long time to come. If we would only realize how every little action really does make a difference in our world and God's kingdom.

Adventures of Abby said...

just last sunday after church something simalar happened to me, after paying for fuel, hannah's snack, and 2 pops we left. I also had cash but asked for my reciept anyway. as we pulled out of the parking lot i realized we were only charged for one pop, so we went back and paid for the other one. and another time a cashier at walmart also gave me $5 to much, i returned it. i also think the same as you angela, soon my children will be working and as they learn their jobs (and about living life) i would hope people help and guide them in EVERY way.