Monday, August 10, 2009

a heart is a heart....

My heart melted a little today as I was reminded of a sweet little boy with a huge heart.
Dominique called me this afternoon. We were chatting about his weekend and how some of his DSM buddies were in MD for a show, so he went to hang out. Now the last time he was in Baltimore his car was broken into and the thief stole his GPS. Of course I was nervous. He told me this time his car was not broken into...YAY!!!! However there was a homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk right in front of his car. He tapped the man on the shoulder, the man jumped up and tried to fight him. Dominique gave the man $6 and went on his way.
I just love his tender heart. After we hung up and I was thinking about our conversation I remembered him as a little boy of 7. He and I were driving on Interstate 235 heading home from a doctors appointment when he noticed a man sleeping up under the viaduct.
D: "Mommy what is that man doing up there?"
m: "He is sleeping.'
D: "why would a man sleep under the road?"
M: "Some people have no place to sleep like you and I, that is a cool place out of the sun and he is tired."
D: Go back mommy, I want to bring him home with us.
M: honey that is not a good idea. We should pray for him and we could take him some food but we can't bring him home with us.
When we arrived home I heard some moving about and went in to check on him to see what he was up to. His blankets and pillow were all folded neatly by the door and he had shoved his mattress off his bed and was trying with all his might to push it down the hall.
M: Son, what are you doing?
D: I am taking my bed to the man under the road.
M: Dominique that is very sweet of you to think of him but we can't take him your bed.
D: (crying now) Mommy I just want him to have a nice place to sleep.
M: I know son.
Over the years Dominique has been known to give some random person his dinner, or his jacket, or a few dollars even when he doesn't have much for himself.
God created him with such a tender heart...I love that no matter how old he gets that tenderness remains...
PS~I am sure the conversations he and I had were not EXACTLY the way I wrote them...but that is how I remember it.
Moments like these make my heart smile!!

No comments: