Tuesday, March 24, 2009

look at me when I am talking to you

It is funny....this is one of my pet peeves! I can not stand trying to have a serious conversation while the other converser (is that a word??) is looking every where but at me. I always feel ignored or half listened to. Is it wrong to expect eye contact while carrying on a conversation? I always make my monsters look in my eyes when they are speaking to me....why is it so hard for adults?
I am not talking about random casual conversation taking place in random places such as the church foyer or the super market. I am talking about the dinner table, serious, sit down, we need to talk, kind of talking. Too many things draw your attention away in public and casual situations. OR if you are like me...you have too many children to keep an eye on to be able to give 100% undivided attention to a casual church foyer conversation.
But, I promise you this, if there is a serious issue to be discussed you will know I am listening because I will be looking at your eyes when you are talking....even if I don't want to look at you....because believe me, I know there are times we all would rather not even be having discussions let alone looking into the eyes of the person we are upset with.....
Is it too much to ask for eye contact? Is it old fashioned to consider eye contact to be a form of mutual respect?
I don't know....but I always seem to think over and over in my mind during those kinds of conversations....would you look at me when I am talking to you??

No comments: