Wednesday, January 2, 2008

December 17, 2007

I had the honor and privelege of being able to go on the season of sharing trip with the 3rd and 6th grade classes from school, even though none of my children are in those grades. Every year our school spends an entire month fund raising for the season of sharing, then they adopt a family and when all the funds are counted and tallied up, the 3rd and 6th graders go shopping at the local Target. It is an amazing experience. When Isaiah was in 3rd grade, he was still using his walker and not able to walk independantly yet, but we went and had a blast shopping for a family who otherwise would have no Christmas. When I found out they were short on chaperones for this years trip and might not be able to go. I volunteered and was very excited when the commitee said I could go.
The group of girls I had were very good little shoppers. We were given an envelope with $100 and a list of clothing items our family member needed. I had 3 sixth grade girls and 2 third grade girls in my group. The older girls kept close track of our money and the younger girls, being the same age as our child helped with picking out the perfect items. We shopped for an 8 year old girl. Our goal was to get as close to the 100 dollar total as possible without going over or having change left over. My girls total was $100.25 I snuck a quarter in without them knowing and they were so excited to think they came out even!
After shopping we went to Godfathers pizza for lunch. What a wonderful day!
I went home after we unloaded all the gifts at school. The 6th graders spent the rest of the day wrapping the gifts.
I was so thankful Dominique was able to babysit for me so I could go. Thanks Dominique! You are the best!

No comments: