Tuesday, May 29, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOMINIQUE

WOW! It is so hard for me to believe that 17 years ago today I became a mommy for the first time. The past 17 years have been full of Joy and some tears. I am so very proud to be the mom of such a great young man! God blessed me tremendously the day He chose me to be Dominique's Mom.
Dominique is very talented in so many ways. He is an amazing drummer, he is great with kids, a talented artist, a good student (I have to brag here for one minute, this past semester he took 2 college classes at Grand View College we got his grades the other day,he got an A in one and a B+ in the other!!!!!!) He is a true leader. Dominique is the kind of leader who has the ability to be a world changer in his life time. He leads by quiet example, people are drawn to him by his actions, his attitudes, and his choices. He is not the kind of leader who is boisterous and in-your-face, or very aggressive. He leads by example. That, in my opinion, is the strongest kind of leader. He believes in his convictions and will not be moved from them. He lives by a self imposed "Code" and believes in it with every fiber of who he is and who he will be in the future.

It seems like just yesterday that I held him for the first time....
It seems like just yesterday that my dad held him proudly as his first grand child...
It seems like just yesterday that I watched him take his first shaky steps and then take off running...
It seems like just yesterday he took his first fall and had his first injury...
It seems like just yesterday that I would wake up in the middle of the night and find him sitting on my dad's hospital bed holding his hand saying "I love you Papa its OK"...
It seems like just yesterday that he reached his sweet little hand to my eyes and dried my tears and said "Mommy its OK I miss Papa Angel too"...
It seems like just yesterday that he took the ring bearer pillow he was carrying in our wedding
and laid down and fell asleep on the alter...
It seems like just yesterday that I took I dropped him off at kindergarten when there was no school that day...
It seems like just yesterday he caught his first fish...
and lost his first tooth...
It seems like just yesterday that he asked Jesus into his heart...
It seems like just yesterday that he literally had ants in his pants...
It seems like just yesterday that he started Tae Kwon Do...
It seems like just yesterday that he went to junior high...and then to high school....
It seems like just yesterday that he went on his first missions trip...half a world away...
It seems like just yesterday...
I find myself not only very proud of all his accomplishments but also proud of the amazing character he shows everyday, the great role model he is for his siblings. I wish everyone could know him for the amazing young man he has grown to be...
But, I am also sad, sad that this part of his life is almost over...
Sad that I am not sure if I have done the best job in preparing him to enter the world...
Sad that in 1 year he will graduate and move onto the next phase of his life...
Sad that the days when he would climb up into my lap to read and snuggle with me are over...
Sad that the new phase of his life makes him want to spend more time with his friends than with his family...
sad that he is taller than me...and enjoys that very much....
Sad that he has grown up over night...
But ever so blessed and ever so thankful for the time God has given me to be the mom of such a terrific young man of God!!!

2 comments:

Truders said...

Seems like it was just yesterday when we met this boy named Dominique who was just the sweetest guy ever. At that time he was 7 years old. What a long ways he has come and it amazes me how grown up he is. You've done an amazing job with him Angela!!

Lori Eilers said...

Dominique is an AMAZING person. He will do incredible things for God's kingdom and continue to make all of us proud! Happy Birthday, Dominique.