Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A new school year.

Where has the summer gone? I swear I blinked my eyes and we went from Memorial Day to the first day of school while my eyes were still closed! Beginning a new school year is always a little bitter sweet for me. I am always excited to see my children blossom a little more with each new year. Form relationships, grow, gain academic strength and make friends. This year was a little more bitter than sweet for me.
Sassy Pants is still not back home where she belongs yet, so as the children were all very excited and nervous for this new year Sassy is still away and struggling. We are working hard to change this but it will be a long slow process.
I worked part time all summer and felt like I missed everything, even wen I wasn't working we were catching up on house stuff so it never really felt like a summer vacation to me. (sadface)
I am becoming more and more of a fan of the year round schooling plan for so many reasons more/shorter breaks through out the year would be good, at least for me and my children.
It always makes me sad to see my children struggle. Transitions are difficult for some of my children so the week leading into the beginning of a new school year is rough in this house. Anxiety levels rise. therefore behaviors and attitudes do as well. I try to be understanding but in the heat of the moment when an irrational upset ranting preteen is crying and unable to focus or listen it is extremely difficult to look in that sweet face I love so much and reflect love and understanding back. I am working on it, and hope I am better today than in the past.
Thankfully, the older kiddos who were stressed out experienced few bumps in the road of the first 2 days and have found the transition was not so bad after all. WHEW! happy to dodge that bullet!
I have been stressed out over Burrito starting kindergarten. He had a better transition into childrens ministries at church tan any of expected which gave me a glimmer of hope that he just might be able to pull it off. But lets face it, childrens ministries is very different than a full day of school away from home and surrounded by people he doesn't know or trust yet. All my worries float through my mind as I lay in bed trying to sleep at night.
Tuesday was his first full day of Kindergarten. He has an awesome teacher. I am not worried at tall that she will protect him and keep him safe and love on him.
he was up bright and early before 6am which made waiting for an 835am bus a little challenging. We did our special routine, first day of school breakfast whateveryouwantnomatterwhatitis got dressed in his brand new outfit that was hanging in the closet back pack on prayed up and ready to go. All before 7am. Trying to keep him contained for an hour and half was difficult to say the least! (today he was up BEFORE 5am!!! What?!?!
We talked about the book his teacher read about the Racoon and his mother and their Kissing Hand. We exchanged Kissing Hands (not like Isaiah and Elijah did when they were in Kindergarten, ours are INVISIBLE!) We made our way outdoors to wait for the bus (and take a couple pictures) HA! He was NOT having a photo shoot I barely got 3 pictures taken. The bus arrived and he lined up with all the big kids and off he went.
As I walked in the house I whispered a prayer over my Burrito. So hard sometimes for a Momma to let her babies go. This was one of those times for sure.
I was sitting outdoors waiting for him after school (no I did not sit there all day waiting HA! I actually went to the doctor and to work)
He had a god day from what we can gather what he was really interested in more than anything was getting his cleats and ball glove and playing baseball in the back yard! Poor little guy missed his freedom. He did declare that he has no friends when asked why he said the boys don't like him but all the girls do.....OH DEAR! I hope this is not an indication of things to come! He is way too young for this business!
The evening went down hill faster than a locomotive barreling own the tracks! HOLY COW! We had a tantrum that went strong for nearly 2 hours, we had several mini meltdowns and he was CRASHED on the couch by 8. Poor guy. It is a lot of work holding it together all day long at school, he just could NOT do it one minute longer. TRANSITIONS STINK! I hate them!
Heres to a better day today!
Elijah 8th Grade/Amaris 7th Grade

Samuel 5th Grade

Burrito's visit to Kindergarten

Burrito Kindergarten

No comments: