Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Prejudice and discrimination have been prevalent throughout human history. Prejudice has to do with the inflexible and irrational attitudes and opinions held by members of one group about another, while discrimination refers to behaviors directed against another group. Being prejudiced usually means having preconceived beliefs about groups of people or cultural practices. Prejudices can either be positive or negative—both forms are usually preconceived and difficult to alter. The negative form of prejudice can lead to discrimination, although it is possible to be prejudiced and not act upon the attitudes. Those who practice discrimination do so to protect opportunities for themselves by denying access to those whom they believe do not deserve the same treatment as everyone else.
**taken from sociology cliff notes**
I chose to preface this post with clear definitions.
Over the years of my life I have been called a lot of things, but prejudice is one I never imagined would be an accusation I would be forced to fend off. At the same time I never in a million years imagined it could become possible that I would miss it when it rears its ugly head around me.
I have raised or helped to raise many children from various ethnic groups and backgrounds. My father raised me to look at the heart of a person when deciding if they were to become a part of my life on any level. Ask yourself questions like: Is he a man of his word? Does he keep his promises? Is he king and thoughtful to those around him? Does he treat his parents well?
Where a person came from, what social class they were raised in, what ethnic group/race/religion/ nationality etc none of these ever came into consideration as my father taught me to choose friends because it was never an issue for him. He had friends who were extremely wealthy and some who were poor, he had friends who had a great deal of influence in our community and friends who had a history of trouble with the law. He had friends who shared the same faith and similar backgrounds and friends who were of various other religious upbringing. My father taught in wealthy school district in California and he taught in the poorest school districts in New Jersey. He loved all of his students, his passion for teaching was the same with the beginning of each new year. All these things I learned from watching him love others with a passionate unconditional love I have never seen before or since.
I strive every day of my life to love others as he showed me to love.
All these reasons lead to why I am so disappointed in myself.
We sat in the our lawn chairs at the drive in movies this past weekend with our dear friends. Chatter turned to this subject mostly because of an incident that occurred with a vehicle occupying the space directly behind us. This incident resulted in us being forced to either move our van to the grassy area on the outside of the drive in property or lose our spot. All because the people behind us complained they could not see over our van. My Sister quietly suggests to me that she felt like they complained because of her and her family being with us. I disagreed with her and our chatter moved in the direction of prejudice. Causing conflict in my heart and mind. I wrestled in the silence that fell at the end of our talk. No way could I have missed such a gesture. Could I??
Her point was proven within moments. A gentleman and his daughter walked up and asked if we attend a particular church, we said yes, he then asked if we were involved in TBQ. I said my kids are new to the program but my Sister's children had been involved for a year. I watched as this man CLEARLY recognized her and the kids but just as clearly pretended they were not present and attempted to talk all about the program with us as if WE were the ones who knew him. My irritation level began to grow as he stood there claiming to be this Christian man who was a coach and leader for kids and teens in TBQ yet he was blatantly and rudely ignoring their presence.
The more I think about this the more angry I become.
Are we not to show love to others no matter what?
Are we not to accept others for their wonderful unique differences?
I mean this is 2012 for crying out loud PEOPLE get a grip!!! Get over your holier than thou attitude that YOU are superior to others simply and solely based on the color of your skin and the status of the church you attend.
I am telling you what.....I would not spend 1 minute in the presence of anyone who bases life decisions and friendships on these things nor would I ever attend a church who supports such idiocracy.
I take great offense to such behavior.
I am disappointed in myself and ashamed that I have so emerged myself into the craziness of my life that I no longer see these things happening around me.
May I be ever aware of these situations and never lose the ability to love no matter what.

No comments: