Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the dash

have you ever read the poem about the dash?
it was written about the hyphen between your birth date and your death date. prompting thought to be given about how we are spending our time in the dash. for that is truly more important than the 2 individual dates. how we live our lives, treat others, what we hold as near and dear, Who we hold near and dear.
I have had opportunity over the last couple months to ponder this thought with knowing several people who have lost loved ones, losing a family member myself, and the anniversary of my fathers death. I have sat through a couple funerals and been able to speak with loved ones who have been left behind. These talks, these moments, these events have prompted me to think.
I think the first I realized I was thinking about this was when a friend had a dilemma. She asked me what would I do if I was asked to speak at the funeral of a person I did not like, nor had respect for.
I thought a lot about that and finally had to tell her that I had no idea what I would do. Honestly, do you stand in front of family and friends and lie to save the feelings of the living? or do you decline the speaking and be forced to explain why? do you speak and tell the truth?? I could not advise her. After much more thought, I THINK I would decline and try to find a graceful way out. maybe.
Then came the anniversary of my fathers death and with that every year I am taken back in time. I wonder if I am a person who he would have been proud of. I wonder if the life I have carved out is one that he would approve of.
Then my uncle passed away, truth is he committed suicide. which prompted me to think long and hard about life living and how I am spending my life, love, energy and the gifts God has given me. Am I honoring the ONE who saved me even before I knew HIM?
When my time arrives and someone is standing in front of a church, flowers all around and they look out into the congregation what will they see? Will there be people? What will this speaker have to say about the time I spent in the dash?
What would I want for people to say about my time in the dash, that is the pressing question on my mind.

No comments: