Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Elijah

As I sat there today in the MRI room with ELIJAH ( not Isaiah) on the table. watching him as he slid into the hole of the machine it was almost as if the machine ate him for lunch. I had plenty of time to sit and think. This was Elijah's first MRI. He is a newbie. So he was a bit nervous and wanted me in there with him. which is fine, Lord knows I have sat through many of these with Isaiah!!! the down fall is that you can take nothing in the room with you, no book to read no kindle for sure! not paper and pen to write.  Just yourself. sitting for EVER listening to the knock knock knocking of the huge machine as it whirs and revs its mighty engine....heeheeee maybe not mighty and probably no engine but it truly does sound that bad!
As I sat my mind went wandering. back in time to every MRI I have held Isaiah's foot through. I let the memories wash over me. I wondered to myself briefly, why was this happening to Elijah? he is the healthy child. then I instantly felt guilt for thinking such thoughts. Illness and i9njury can happen to anyone, and in a family such as ours it is probably more likely to have illness and inn jury. I wonder what the statistics look like for potpourri families like mine. I mean seriously. Only 2 out 9 have full genetic links to Scott and myself, another 2 have full genetic link to each other but not the rest of us, another 2 have partial genetic linking and then there is #9. I LOVE my potpourri family!
Back to Elijah.
He has been having staring spells that last 5-40 minutes where he has no recollection and complete confusion when they pass. He also gets migraines with these spells about 60% of the time. We started with our family doctor who then referred us to pediatric neurology. We visited her and she ordered an EEG and an MRI Lij then proceeded to BEG to wait until after camp and baseball season. We formulated an emergency plan to get us through and set the testing for later. Later has arrived. Both tests have been done and we are now waiting for the office to call and schedule a follow up appointment.
In the mean time. The crazy kid was at baseball practice late last week and his leg slid out from under him goofy. He was hurting badly enough to cry and ask to go home early. A late night trip into urgent care X-Rays and we got a diagnosis of strain of the IT Band. Ibuprofen and ice. were prescribed and his only question for the doctor was can I play in the baseball tournament this weekend???? Doctor said as long as he can tolerate the pain he can play.
Elijah pulled himself out of the first game after 2 innings and after more ibuprofen and ice was ready to play the second game.
Sunday after his tournament and after the kids and I got done at church we headed out to Paula and Terry's farm to celebrate Levi leaving for boot camp. Well we didn't celebrate him LEAVING we celebrated HIM. LOL
Of course my crazy boy could not resist the trampoline or the hay bales or the barns or.....so he played and played HARD. and paid the price Monday and today! Hi pain went through the roof. we are back to ice and ibuprofen. BOYS!
If you ask him, all he is concerned about is whether or not he will be able to play baseball.
I am confident that in the end of all this. we will have a great treatment plan that will allow him to continue playing ball.

No comments: