Sunday, September 25, 2011

Zephan aka Burrito

It is funny the perspective parents have of their children....I see my burrito as the frail and failing to thrive baby who came to live with us at 5 months old. Poor prognosis and severely delayed in all areas. He was such a sad sick little boy. I see the leaps and bounds of progress he made almost immediately. I remember hearing professionals say they could not believe he was the same baby. My Burrito has leapt over many obstacles and grown a million times more than predicted in every area.
He is so smart he surprises me every day with his brilliance!
He is intense. Particular. Fierce. Has little quirks that most people do not understand. He loves Queen and hard core crazy music, it instantly calms his raging soul when he is tantrumiong and spiraling out of control....put on queen "fat bottom girls" or "we will rock you" and the boy instantly clams down. Its the craziest thing I have ever seen.
 He pulls his hair out and eats odd things. He has a crazy fascination with numbers and counting things.
He screams and can not stand being in crowded places or brightly lit places. He calms himself by screaming or pulling his hair out.
He is FUNNY. Sweet and loving!
He was recently diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum. And the funny thing is, I was surprised and relieved at the same time. Surprised because I do not see his deficits I see the amazing progress he has made from the failing to thrive sick baby he was to the vibrant rambunctious little boy he is today. Relieved because there is a reason he is the way he is and there are things we can do to help him as he grows.

No comments: