Sunday, September 25, 2011

Isaiah

Isaiah
funny. he was the baby I was ABSOLUTELY convinced he hated me the first 3 weeks of his life. He had this look in his eyes that was so distant. so far away.
Isaiah is 15....FIFTEEN!!! I can hardly believe he is 15 already. So many milestones. So many blessings, miracles, such a long journey he has traveled already.

6 years ago this past August Isaiah had his first surgery. 6 years ago he began his journey to walking again. 6 years ago he proved to me he was one of my heroes and the most courageous kid I know.
He has been in public school, homeschooled and private school. He has lost good friends. He has had to learne how to enjoy life different than his peers. He is a shy person by nature and change is hard for him. I am so proud of him and his courage to walk through change, especially difficult change.
We are preparing to head up to Minnesota for check ups next week. I always get nervous and reflective when we prepare to go north. Nervous because I never know TRULY how he is feeling. I mean really. I did not know until 6 months AFTER his first surgery that he could never recall NOT having pain and tingling in his arms legs and back. I pray as he gets older he learns to listen to the changes in his body and is more able to communicate to his team of doctors when things change. Otherwise they rely on our observations.
Isaiah is studying for his drivers permit test. I am excited and a little nervous. Excited because he will gain a little more independence, nervous because the range of motion in his neck is limited. I am sure he will accommodate himself with out hesitation as usual.
So far school is going well. He really misses David and Chrystal a lot. They were unusually in tune to who he is and loved him so much. I am very proud of him and his effort to adjust to the changes at school. Academically he is doing great, but then again he has always been a good student. 
It has been a season of growth and change. His voice is changing ;0) he has grown inches past what the doctors always predicted would be his tallest. he is always willing to help with the kids and do any chores I need help with. It brings great joy to my heart to watch him play with his siblings.
I will update on the appointments during our trip.
I will update on our trip as we go along.

No comments: