Tuesday, November 26, 2013

what does adoption mean to you? Part 1

The "question" of the month. I have been asked this question more in the past 3 weeks than I can count. I have poured a lot of thought into this one question. I have so many different replies to this question that I have decided to write a mini series.so bare with me. :)
My very first thought ever that I can remember about adoption was when my father told us we were getting a new brother and he was coming on an airplane from far away.
Even as a small child I remember my daddy carrying the only 3 photos we had of my new brother and showing anyone who would take a moment and look. He was beautiful and I loved him right away.
I have a thousand page novel written on my heart of what adopting my baby brother Nathan means to me. I can't imagine life without him. I remember seeing photos of the orphanage and thinking when I grow up I will save all the orphan children bring them to my home and take care of them. Only then, I believed I had to go across the world to do that. I had no idea at all that there are children in our own communities who need a family just as badly as orphans half a world away.
Looking back over our life and knowing all that I know now about trauma and loss I realize Nathan is a survivor and I am so very proud of him.
I have never been brave enough to ask him what does adoption mean to him. or if he ever wonders about his birth family half way around the world. I think a part of me is afraid his answer would make me sad.
so, as a child adoption was fairytale-ish. I always had this idea that Daddy 'saved' Nathan. like some sort of hero. funny. Daddy always said Nathan was the completion of our family he made us perfectly even. I always liked that thought.

No comments: