Wednesday, December 2, 2009

To be the Blesser or the Blessee???

It is funny how our hearts are challenged every once in a while. By nature I am more of a giver than a receiver. I love the joy of giving, no matter what the occasion. whether it be in action, words, deeds, or material things. giving, or blessing someone else brings great joy to this heart of mine. I think because of that it is very difficult for me to be on the other side. It feels awkward to me to receive praise, compliments or gifts. Maybe this sounds strange to you I guess it is hard to explain.
Sometimes God wants us to step out of our place of comfort and be uncomfortable. This week He forced me there and although I argued and tried to excuse it away when I gave in and accepted the gift in the end I was so glad I did!
A friend of mine called me on Monday once on the house phone and once on my cell, I did not answer either call because I had a migraine and was trying to ignore the head pain while taking care of the Burrito and doing Isaiah's schooling. My friend called back a third time while I was cooking dinner. Here is the story....
It is funny how God works on 2 hearts at once. Trudy had won 2 tickets to see the production of The Wizard of Oz at the Stephens Auditorium. When she won she was so excited to have a date night with her husband she had childcare all lined up and was ready to go. When she went to pick up the tickets she felt God speak to her heart to give the tickets away. She being much like me argued and bargained with God. She really wanted the night out ~ but in the end she called and offered not only the tickets but also to watch all my children.
When she called a million excuses ran through my head. She really wanted to go. Its a school night and the kids will be up late. on and on.....Finally after my own bargaining session with God. He clearly told me 'How dare YOU steal Trudy's opportunity to be a blessing'....I called her back and told her we would be happy to go and thanked her profusely! Now you must know I being stubborn as a mule continued my bargaining session through the night and on into the morning. I kept thinking if I decline then she will be able to go and enjoy the night with her husband. I felt very guilty. But at the end of each bargaining session I came back to that one thought....I would be stealing the same joy from my friend that giving brings to my heart. So I finally surrendered and gave up the bargaining.
We dropped the monsters off after dinner and off we went to Ames.
But in the back of my head I had decided we would leave at the intermission so we could get the monsters so Trudy's family could get off to bed...it wasn't until intermission came that I changed my mind. I am so glad I did because I would have missed the best scene in the whole show! When Dorothy threw the bucket of water on the wicked witch and she melted into the floor....When I was in school I was in a LOT of plays, musicals, and productions....A LOT! I was amazed at how they did the melting scene, it was very cool!
WE arrived at their house just before 11 the monsters were scattered about on couches and the floor under masses of blankets snoozing away. The ride home revived the Burrito and he was up until nearly 1:00a.m. but everyone else fell into bed and right off to sleep.
Thanks Trudy for listening when God told you to give you gift away. When I finally gave up my own battle I was truly BLESSED by your generosity and obedience!!

1 comment:

Truders said...

I am SO GLAD you decided to not leave at intermission. I am glad I followed the leading of the Lord. You two deserved a night out just the two of you!! Love you tons!!