Saturday, October 22, 2011

Weekend Get-Away

What lead up to our weekend getaway was complete chaos and stress. Every time we turned we were not sure it would really happen. So many things kept coming up. We had originally planned the trip as a quiet time for us to regroup and have the "last hoorah" so to speak before Isaiah's surgery in November. However since the MIRACLE happened we were even more excited to get away and just have some fun. It has been over a year since we have taken the children anywhere for fun. It was planned perfectly for the end of school conference week for all the kids but Isaiah, who attends Heritage Christian Academy. He would have to miss 2 more days of school. Well worth it I thought. When we planned our trip the plan was for the little Pumpkin to be transitioned back home to his family. However some comlications have arisen in the case and we still have him. I started asking fro permission to miss a visit way back in July nad was not given the yes until days before. Since we do not use respite and there is no one else who could watch him for a long weekend we were a litttle nervous that we would have to cancel our trip. But we finally got the go ahead. Then the court proceedings grew from 1 day to 2 into 3 weeks and kept creeping closer and closer to our time away. We were to leave Thursday after the kids got home (early out for Sam and Amaris, no school for the Burrito) We were packed and ready to leave by 1230. I had taken half of Thursday and all of Friday off of day care (I have 2 booys before and after school every day).
We were packed tighter then a can of sardines. I forgot how much you have to take for babies. and I am a conservative packer. The drive was a little more than 3 hours. The children were very good. Well. Sama is Sam nad we had some issues but over all they all traveled well. We arrived checked in to the cabin unpacked and I went to the store to buy our food. I LOVE staying in the cabins. I have a kitchen, the kids have space to spread out and play games, we can run and play right outside the cabin. Perfect vacation solution for us. (besides I hate hotels, HATE them!) I had the weekend menus all planned out so was not gone long.
We spent the rest of Thursday and Friday exploring around the lake, searching for rocks and shells, 'fishing', and playing on the coolest payground ever. We ate Lupper which is what my kids call it when you eat half way between lunch and supper you know, kind of like brunch. ;0) then we took thekids to the indoor water park. A pleasant surprise, off season prices are half the seasonal prices. The kids all had a wonderful time I tried to capture some photos but the lighting in there was poor at best and I had the little pumpkin, who by the way LOVES the pool. The hotel has halloween activities so we stayed and did the corn maze, well, we attempted t do the corn maze.....the paper said no chracters or actors in the childrens corn maze, scare factor of 0 for the maze. PERFECT we thought, you know the Burrito does not do well in these situations anyway then you factor in unexpected scares and surprises and forget it! Scott and the older kids were leading our line through the doors to the maze as Sam entered the door with the Burrito on his heels a guy dressed as a scarecrow jumped out and as he turned not only did he yell to scare us but he also had a very scary mask on. I almost wish I would of had the video camers. You have never seen a person move in terror as quickly as the Burrito did. That was it, he was done, there was no getting him back in there. Thanks Mr. Scarecrow....and Sam. HAHAHAHA Sam who adamently declares "I am not afraid of anything!!" absolutely flat out refused to participate in anything else halloween. We waived our surrender flags and packed up to head back to the Cabin.
Saturday we spent a lot of time at the lake. It was the nicest day of the weekend the kids even took shoes and socks off the play in the sand and some even braved the waters edge. the little Pumkin napped at the beach. He loves being outdoors. Honestly I can't believe what a good boy he was the entire trip!
Scott decided he wanted to eat at the hotel resteraunt for dinner. (Something I never enjoy) eating out with children is one of my least favorite family activities, which is one of the reasons I love cabins, it eliminates the need for eating out. The view from the table was breathtaking, we watched the sunset on the lake. And for the most part the kids were well behaved. Saturday was the first day/night that it was not too windy for a campfire. We had a nice fire, made smores and told stories. One of my favorite things ever is to sit by a campfire on a beatiful crisp fall evening. Nice way to end our weekend getaway.
Sunday morning we cleaned the cabin, explored the lake one more time then packed the little sardine back in the van.
It was so nice to get away. It was very peaceful up at the lake and made me think of how much I crave that kind of peace in my daily life. I decided I am going to work harder at bringing that same kind of peace home. I crave a more simple life. As soon as things settle down a bit I am going to put a simplifying my life plan into place. One step at a time.
I will post a slideshow of the best pictures soon!

No comments: